Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Day Jared Max Came Out

It has been a year since ESPN Radio's Jared Max came out of the closet for all his listeners and world to see.

No small decision to make what with being an on-air personality on a major media network.

I'm reminded of this today as Jared has done a posting on FB thanking all who have supported him over the past year including of course ESPN.

In an article from a year ago on ESPN's website, Max said in his announcement to listeners, "Are we ready to have our sports information delivered by someone who's gay? Well, you know what, we are gonna find out," Max said. "Because for the last 16 years I've been living a free life among my close friends and family, and I've hidden behind what is a gargantuan-size secret here in the sports world. I am gay."

While Max's one year anniversary of coming out will most likely get little play in the world LGBT blogdumb, I do so because, and as Jared knows as I have written to him before, he did something I wish I could have done back in the 70's when I was a sports broadcaster.

Come out as a broadcaster who happens to be LGBT.

Thanks to Jared who helped pave the way for broadcasters who have and will in the future come out as LGBT.

Need I remind that it is not what you are but who you are which matters.

I look forward to the day when the former is of no consquence for those who work in the mass media.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...